Saturday, October 2, 2010

Update on Ashley and Nathan

Yesterday went really well. I am doing really good considering I had a c-section roughly 30 hours ago. I have gotten off of the catheter (YAY for going to the bathroom), off of my IVs (YAY for not having a huge thing to push around and tubes all over the place), and off of the liquid diet (YAY for real food). I am on pain meds as I know from experience that they are necessary. I am able to get up, stand up, sit in a chair, walk around, and basically can do most things. I am planning to take a real shower tomorrow (Sunday) and put on some of my cute post partum PJs. It will feel nice to feel even more human.

Nathan had a great day. He has been eating every 3 hours. We worked with a lactation consultant to get my started pumping and to get Nathan started nursing. He had a few good nursing sessions today (YAY!). We are basically nursing him for about 15 minutes on one side, giving him about 15ml of formula, and then I pump to help get that supply going. It's going really well. I am hoping that soon my milk will come in and he can mainly take that (eventually only take that).

He is just beautiful and so sweet. I am so thankful for how well he is doing considering he was only 35 weeks. I am enjoying every minute of holding him, singing to him, rocking him, feeding him, and just loving on him.

Tomorrow (Sunday), will be our last full day at the hospital and we will all come home on Monday. I am so thankful for the awesome nursing staff. They have taken such amazing care of me and Nathan. They have also been so sweet and sensitive to everything going on with our loss of Alexis. We couldn't ask for a better set of doctors and nurses.

Our family and friends have been amazing, whether here in person, over the phone, and/or over the Internet. It has been so awesome knowing that there are tons of people praying for us, sharing their messages of comfort and excitement for us, and just loving on us. We are truly blessed.

And of course, God is there always. He never leaves us or forsakes us. I know that He has a perfect plan for everything and that is probably the only thing that has kept me going. Lee and I (and our family) have had our joys and excitement over Nathan and our sadness and pain over Alexis. It comes in waves. I plan to write more about how I am doing with Alexis' loss, but I don't have the words to put together an articulate post right now. I'll just say that it is hard, and sometimes I completely lose it, but through it all we have God, our family, and friends and that makes it bearable.

Thank you all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that Nathan is doing so well. I am so deeply sorry to hear about Alexis. I just can't imagine what you & your family are going through. I truly am heartbroken for you Ashley. I've followed your story since the beginning and have been inspired by your faith. I am glad your faith is comforting you now in this very sad time. I'm thinking of your always and sending extra prayers for you and your family in this very hard time (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete