Saturday, October 2, 2010

Arrival of Our Twins & Departure of Our Sweet Baby Girl Alexis

As most of you know, we went in for our routine 35 week ultrasound Friday. Everything looked great for our son, Nathan. He measured big and had a great heartbeat. When we went to check our daughter, Alexis, she was measuring smaller than we expected and we didn't measure a heartbeat. We thought that was strange but the ultrasound technician sent us to a room without telling us anything (they have to wait for the doctor to do that).

As we waited I had this overwhelming feeling that something wasn't right as we have always seen and heard a heartbeat. I immediately prayed that whatever news we heard, God would be there to comfort us. I really just thought that maybe she wasn't growing as good and that we might have to have them early since we had discussed possible things that can warrant earlier delivery. When the doctor came in, she said, "I have some bad news." Immediately my heart sank. She said, "Baby B doesn't have a heartbeat and has passed away." At first they said it was Nathan, but I knew Baby B was Alexis. We were in limbo for a minute, but we found out it was definitely Alexis.

I immediately cried uncontrollably. I was completely overwhelmed with grief. I have to say that in the 9 years I have known Lee, I have maybe seen him shed a few tears a handful of times. To say he was overcome with grief is an understatement. We discussed going ahead and delivering Nathan. I will say that even though I was overwhelmed and my heart ached, I knew that God had His hands on Nathan and that everything would be great with him. Lee and I called our family and wept in the room until we could compose ourselves enough to leave and head home to get our stuff so we could head to the hospital.

We got to the hospital and they monitored Nathan and he was doing great - great heartbeat, very active. They scheduled my c-section for roughly 5:00pm since I had something to eat at 9:00am. The c-section went beautifully. I kept focusing on Scriptures that were encouraging. It took a while since I have had a c-section before and had a good amount of scar tissue, but at 5:45pm I heard the greatest sound in the world, Nathan crying. Immediately came the tears. At that point I was still hoping and praying that maybe the tech was wrong and I would hear my precious Alexis cry. Needless to say, I didn't. The nurse came and told me that Alexis was beautiful and looked just like Nathan. Lee brought Nathan over to me and I got to love and kiss on him. He is so beautiful and I believe he looks just like Daddy's baby pictures. I opted not to see Alexis at that time as I knew that would be too much to handle while still finishing up my c-section.

We got everything finished up and I went to my room under the impression that Nathan would be in the NICU until 10:00pm (4 hours for observation). Well, he was doing so great that he came out in about an hour. I was thrilled. I couldn't wait to hold and kiss him. Lee and I had some time with him and then Luke came in and then family came in in groups. It was amazing having this precious heathy baby boy and enjoying him with our family.

Lee and I wanted to see Alexis and hold her and let our family have some time with her before we sent her to the morgue, but she didn't look good and it was too much for me to take, so I only saw her for a quick second and they went ahead and took her. I want to remember her from the sweet ultrasound pictures and active kicks in my belly for the past 35 weeks. They did give us a box with her footprints and some of her special items (blanket, hat, bracelets). I know we will cherish it forever.

That night went really well. We had Nathan go to the nursery for a few hours so we could sleep and he could be well taken care of. He was eating about every 3 hours (he was taking formula). We are working on nursing, pumping, making bottles, and giving him formula. He is doing really well. He had an APGAR of 9 and the only thing he has had a tough time with was his body temperature regulation, but we got that under control. He is so beautiful. I can't stop looking at him.

I am doing great. This c-section is nothing compared to the last one I had with Luke (I think not laboring for 26 hours might be part of that). I have been able to get up and sit in a chair. I got all the hospitally stuff off (IVs, etc). I was on a liquid diet until last night, but I got to have a yummy dinner tonight.

We are just so thankful for our God, our family, and our friends. God is everpresent and will take us through this. Our family is amazing and is always here for us. Our friends are incredible and their messages have been so encouraging. We appreciate all the prayers, comments, and support. We can't express it enough.

Here is the Scripture I've been meditating on (thanks Krisanne!)

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you." - Isaiah 43:2


  1. I am so sorry for your loss. I will definitely keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

  2. My heart goes out to you and your family, I could never go through something like that it would crush me. God had a better plan for Alexis.... We will keep you and your family in my prayers as you deal with your loss.

  3. My name is Meike Schroeder we have a twin friend in Common..... i just wanted you to know that my hearth is with your family, that i really KNOW what you are going througth... my sweet Santiago si going to 4 in january and my Angel fernando earned his wings the same day, i just like you went for a scheduled US at 34 weeks and found out that frenando had already passed away. Only God knows why he does this things, but i can tell you for sure that your family has a special Angel by Gods side taking care of all of you. Love from my family to yours.