Tuesday, August 31, 2010

3 Hour Gestational Diabetes Test

So today I went for my 3 hour gestational diabetes test. In case you didn't know I failed by a thin thread (I had a 135 and you had to have below 135). I had to fast from eating, drinking, and even brushing my teeth from midnight until the end of the test today. Of course, I ate something at 11:30pm, brushed my teeth really well at 11:58pm, and went to bed. I missed my water in the middle of the night (I wake up thirsty a lot), brushing my teeth first thing this morning, and of course, eating this morning.

I got to my appointment at 8:00am, had my first blood draw, drank the drink (it wasn't bad - probably since it was the only food/drink I could have for 12 hours), got my timer, and was setup in a room with another girl doing her test. Having another pregnant girl was a Godsend because 3 hours sounded like torture. We talked for about 2 1/2 hours, taking breaks when our timers went off each hour to go get poked. She was a sweet girl and had actually had gestational diabetes before so she told me what to expect if I have it (praying I don't of course).

We also talked about everything under the sun - college, marriage, having kids, even couponing. The time really did fly. When she left, I just read a tabloid magazine and that took up the rest of the time. It wasn't really that bad.

I got my last poke, checked out, and hit Chick-fil-A. I was starving! I scarfed down a whole large french fry in the 5 minutes from Chick-fil-A to my house. Then I felt sick. I ate my nuggets to get some protein in, but still felt yucky. I was really tired from lack of sleep, getting up early, and coming off the juice (the nurse said the sugar makes you sleepy). Luckily Lee just worked from home the rest of the day and I got a nice long nap. I felt better after that.

It was really not as bad as I thought it would be. I hope that I don't have gestational diabetes, but just like anything, it is worth anything I have to go through to have these precious miracles from God. :)

1 comment:

  1. Definitely hoping/praying you don't have GD! :) Glad that the 3 hour test wasn't SO bad.

    ReplyDelete