Thursday, May 13, 2010

Preparing for Lack of Sleep

Well it has officially happened already...I can't sleep very well. It started out as going to the bathroom every 3 hours which wasn't too bad because I could just get up, go, and get right back to sleep. Then I started having to shift around a little bit more during the night to keep my hips from getting sore, which also wasn't too bad because I would just switch, adjust, and go back to sleep.

Well it has quickly evolved into a shifting session pretty much all night. I wake up with pain going down my lower back into my upper thigh region, pain in one of my hips from the weight of my already-expanding babies bump, or just tummy pain from my uterus stretching all the time. Between that, going to the bathroom every couple of hours, and just getting startled and having to go back to sleep, it's not the best night's sleep. Luckily I go to bed around 11:00 (if not earlier) and have the luxury of sleeping until 9:00 if I need to (Luke entertains himself or Lee keeps up with him while he gets ready for work). So with the possibility of 10 hours of sleep, I still am managing to get a decent amount of sleep, just not continual 8 hours of perfect rest. I am hoping I can still get to bed early (well early for me) and sleep late so I get enough sleep to manage all day.

I just keep reminding myself that this is preparation for not just one, but two newborns, who as all you parents know, don't sleep perfectly when they come home from the hospital. I know that this sleep is as good as it is going to get for the next 9 months (praying the babies sleep through the night - 12 hours - like Luke did at 3 months). I am going to relish it now for I know as I get bigger and more uncomfortable and my bladder gets even more squished, I will be getting less and less sleep each week and that with two new babies and recovering from a c-section, it will be really challenging night and day (at least now I can rest during the days too).

I also remind myself that this is part of the process. I am thrilled to be having two healthy, growing babies, no matter what the symptoms. God has truly blessed me and I commit this pregnancy and the babies to Him everyday. I know that He will get me through this pregnancy, delivery, and raising these babies just as He has gotten me through everything else. By leaning on Him daily (hourly) and praying for patience and strength to come from Him, it is all possible.

"With God all things are possible." - Matthew 19:26

No comments:

Post a Comment