Monday, April 19, 2010

I Feel Like a Kid at Christmas

Ever since we found out we were having twins and that we would get a bunch of extra ultrasounds, the next one being at 12 weeks, I started the countdown like a kid starts on the first day of December for Christmas. I kept saying, "Only 4 (3, 2, 1) week(s)". I googled what babies look like at 12 weeks in utero and got even more excited.

Well now we are exactly 4 days away and I cannot wait. I am really happy that we have a lot going on this week - Bible study, playdates, Durham Bulls game, and church - between now and Friday morning, not that I am wishing my days away, but so that we will have fun things to keep us busy and occupied until the big day.

We are going to a specialist that deals with high-risk pregnancies. All twin pregnancies are considered high-risk, but we are not high-risk based on anything else. They check you more, they do more ultrasounds, and overall they have to keep a closer eye on you (especially close to the end as pre-term labor is more common in multiple pregnancies).

We are potentially going to be getting a CVS done. CVS is Chorionic Villus Sampling and is basically a prenatal test that detects chromosomal abnormalities such as Down's Syndrome, Trisomy 13, Trisomy 18, Cystic Fibrosis, Sickle Cell Disease, and more. It doesn't check for tubal issues. This is a procedure where they take a sample from the placenta(s) and test them. They also do the ultrasound to check on things as well.

At first, I was totally opposed to having it done as I would not terminate my babies no matter what their potential "defects" might be. Lee and I believe that all babies are a precious gift from God and are supposed to be here for a reason, whether they are "normal" or not. Plus, I am pro-life no matter what the situation. I also felt like if there is any risk, why take it.

I have thought and prayed about it, and I really don't think we are going to do it, but we are going to discuss it more with the counselor and/or doctor to see what the real pros are compared to the risks. I don't want to just close the door if it could potentially help the babies.

I ask that you would lift us up in prayer for the ultrasound and the potential test. Please pray that our minds will be calm when we go in to get the ultrasound done and that we will listen to the counselor, but then go to The Counselor for our decision. Please pray that whatever we do, The Physician will be with the physician during the procedure and keep the babies safe. Again, please pray that the babies are healthy and that the ultrasound and/or test will show exactly that.

God is in complete control of our lives, my pregnancy, and the lives of these babies. He knew them before the foundation of the world. He knew we would be their parents and that they would be our children before Lee and I were even born. He is knitting them together in my womb and has them in His hands. I have prayed a hedge of protection around them and myself and I know that He is watching over them all the time. He knows everything about them and has a perfect and wonderful plan for their lives. I can't wait to see them again and meet them this Fall.


  1. I am the same way!

    I am pro-choice, but I know I would never choose to terminate MY baby even if it was 'defective.' I declined all optional tests because if the baby were abnormal, we would deal with it but I didn't want to ruin my pregnancy worrying about something we couldn't change.

    You will make the right decision.

  2. Thanks Allison! I appreciate you sharing that with me. That's exactly how I feel. :)