Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ode to My Awesome Husband

With Lee's birthday coming up tomorrow, I decided that I would write a blog post in his honor. I wanted to write something about how awesome he has been during this pregnancy, but the truth is, he is awesome everyday. So here goes.

When I met Lee I was 18 years old, had just graduated highschool (literally the day before), was wide-eyed and immature, and had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. He was 20, in college at NC State working on a double major and master's degree in engineering, was mature, hardworking, and knew exactly what he wanted out of life. I was completely drawn to him. To be honest, I had never met anyone like him. He brought out the best in me, making me want to work hard in school, helping me find direction, and to be honest, helping me to grow up. I owe so much of my confidence, security, and ability to finish things that I start to him.

The first two years of our relationship we dated long-distance (year one - me in Boone, him in Raleigh, year two - me in Greensboro, him in Raleigh). Most people told us that "long-distance relationships never work because one person (or both) eventually cheats or gets tired of it." Well fortunately for Lee and I, we didn't care what other people thought. We were 100% committed to each other from the day we officially started dating. We spent our weeks focusing on school, talking an hour each day on the phone, and some of our weekends in the same town as each other going on dates. It wasn't easy, but we both loved each other and trusted each other so much, that it was worth it.

When we got engaged, it was one of the most exciting experiences of my life. I knew I wanted to spend my whole life with Lee. I knew he felt the exact same way. Two weeks after we got engaged, I surrendered my life and he re-committed his life to Jesus. I am so thankful that we did this before we got married. I know we would have stuck together, but by both being Christians, we committed our marriage to Christ and had that as our foundation from day one.

The day I married Lee was one of the best days of my life. I knew when we said "I do" it meant more than just words. It was a complete commitment to one another and to God that whatever came our way, through God's strength and wisdom and our conviction to be together, we would work through it and be a stronger couple for it.

We've been married almost 6 years, been through our ups and downs, experienced joys and disappointments, had a child together and have two more on the way, gone from small, less-than-awesome apartment to bigger, awesome house, and everyday I am more and more amazed that God blessed me with this man.

Lee has such a strong character. He is a hardworker and never complains about his job, but is thankful that he is able to provide for his family. He is tenacious and never gives up no matter how hard something gets. He is the best family man I have ever met, spending time with Luke and I everyday and loving every minute of watching his family grow. He is so selfless, doing for others without thinking of what he will get in return. He takes his commitments seriously and does what he says he will do. He loves the Lord, me, Luke, his future children, family, and friends. He is the greatest person I have ever known and I look forward to spending the rest of my days with him as my husband, partner, and friend.

***During My Pregnancy Thankfulness***
Since I have been pregnant and had all the symptoms that go along with it, Lee hasn't complained once about the messiness of the house, the lack of home-cooked meals, or about having to do things he normally doesn't have to do. He just picks up the slack, picks up dinner, and picks me up when I feel awful. He takes his vow of "in sickness and in health" seriously. I am forever grateful to have him during this (and every other) time of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment